Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Luck of the Irish

Means that it looks nice outside, but by the time you put your shoes and jacket on and walk out that door, its completely pouring. Grr Ireland, grr!

The last couple of days have been really good, just exploring Dublin and spending WAY too much time researching and begging people to give me interviews. One of my most important sources is only giving me 20 minutes! I better be prepared..

I went on a tour of the city yesterday and met some cool people, then encouraged them to stay at my hostel so I would have someone to hang out with! Smooth.. one of the guys just graduated from school in Arkansas, and is getting ready for med school in Texas, and after he wants to go abroad to offer medical help to underdeveloped nations. Heart of gold, I tell you!

The guide was really cool too, though I felt bad for him putting so much effort into a free tour where he is completely dependent on tips, and the crowd was just boring. I talked to him for awhile though, but I noticed that since most of the audience was American, I think there was a reason no one understood his jokes.

If I had come on the tour straight from the US, prior to learning as much as I have this year, I think I would have been clueless to about 50% of what he was saying. (Thank you, US public school system..) so even though the tour is free, they may want to rethink just how MUCH information they are regurgitating, as it may not be the best crowd pleaser. 

Anyway, things are good and I have interviews the rest of the week!

1 comment:

U emie said...

Yeah, I tried to make you a good informed person, and now I know succeeded :)

one year of hard work, investing time and money in bar conversations pays off!!