Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Meet Copenhagen, the new love of my life.

For my birthday last weekend it was decided that we would head to Copenhagen, so we rented some guys apartment (which turned out to be a really good idea), packed our things, and left Thursday morning. But not before my friends sang happy birthday to me, gave me a card, and bought me a full sized mirror (not only a hot commodity around here, but my narcissism needed fueling.)

The train ride from Ã…rhus is about 3 hours, but we got there in plenty of time, despite moving around a lot. Got to the apartment to find this:



That, my friends, is the small kitchen, and the white space-age tube is the SHOWER! Apparently quite common in older places, but you have to attach it to the sink first, then press a button, zip it up, and enjoy your 2 feet of room around you. Shaving you legs is a mission I attempted, failed, and constantly thought my friends would see as white vinyl isn't the thickest material...


We got there Thursday afternoon, put our stuff down and then semi-wandered. Of course, we ended up at a "Journalist Bar" (Whole different story-a concept I never knew of but basically applies to every European city. America, we are missing something good here.) We sat there for awhile, enjoying ourselves, then went home to eat yummy pizza around the corner (I even scored some free pasta from the place-happy birthday to me!) and just hung out at the apartment.
Its been a long week since the trip, but I still want to talk about it. Friday, my actual birfday, we awesome because my friends love me and repeatedly kept telling me it was the day of my glorious, glorious expulsion into the wide world. We spent the day wandering around with Mads as our tour guide, and we were soaking up the rare sunshine. We went to see the statue of the Little Mermaid, written by Danish Hans Christian Anderson, for those of you who were like, "WTF who cares about that statue??" It's Danish, so it matters. 




Mads, Eliza, Adelija, Emiel and the Mermaid



We spent some time in the Castille area nearby, taking really cool photos:



After we walked across the river to the Christianshavn area, a cute little neighborhood with tons of shops and canals, and most notably Christiana. This is one of the craziest places ever. Very similar to the Haight in a lot of respects, but it is a town of about 850 people who live by basically their own rules, and have established semi-legal status as an independent community. A leftover military base taken over in 1971, there are no cameras allowed on the property, smoking laws aren't in effect, and it has been notorious for its liberal drug policy, especially weed which is still sold on the streets like NBD. It is peaceful place, full of hippies, but tends to get dangerous when the Copenhagen police perform random drug raids...not my cup of tea. It was cool to see, and something completely different from the rest of the city.

After that it was time for coffee and the bar we had gone to on Thursday, and met up with some of Mads' friends. From there we went home to cook a DELICIOUS meal of lasagna for all my wonderful friends. The best part was Liz, my good friend from SF studying in Vaxjo, Sweden came to visit us!! With her 2 friends, the 4 Danes, Emiel, Eliza, and Adelija, we had 11 people for dinner and it was the best birthday present I could ask for just to be with all of them :)

We were planning to go to some club later, but it was too expensive to get in so we went to a place next door and danced are arses off before remembering Euro music can suck for long periods of time, so we called it a night.

Saturday, it was Jesper's turn to show us around. We met at Nyhavn, a harbor area that is popular in the summer, where people buy beer and hang out all day. Perfect!


We walked around behind it, saw the German boat and made the previous video, and walked through a park where you could see the new Opera house across the water.


Walked back through King's park, and then past Tivoli, one of the oldest Theme parks. Safe, eh? Anywho, it was time for Adelija and Eliza to head home, so we went to dinner, and then there were three. Jesper, Emiel and I headed home to play cards and attempt playing drinking games while we waited for Liz (who spent the entire day in the hospital with her sick French friend!) They came over and we went to the club we didn't go in to the night before, but left soon after, happy we didn't have to pay. Everyone else was tuckered out, but Jesper and I were determined to have a good time. More wandering ensued, until we ended up at a cool Irish bar. Leave it to me, I met the craziest old American man, who has been living in Sweden most of his life.

His band is the Noel Smith Project and I spent a good 3 hours attempting to convince him to play at Strawberry, and what a cool music festival it is. I presume my attempts were futile, but nonetheless I arrived home at 8am, and was ready to sleep. Sunday we spent cleaning and then back on the 3 hour train ride.

All in all, it was a great weekend and I love Copenhagen. A lot. I will return sooner than I know :)

1 comment:

bryan said...

excellent choice on the nbd.