Sunday, February 1, 2009

And I've become...a tea drinker.

What??? You ask, knowing full well I consistently REFUSE to order fresh brewed iced tea, Lipton Peach iced tea, your grandmother's favorite down home summer drink special recipe iced tea, hot tea of any kind (too many years in the restaurant industry makes you bitter towards getting tea or, god forbid, HOT WATER WITH LEMON!), iced tea out of a box, mint tea, loose leaf tea, chamomile, black, green, or fruity. Nope, nope, nope I've always said, with such resistance you would think I was talking about raw tomatoes (bleh.)

But suddenly, I've changed. Maybe it happened when I came to Denmark and was too poor to afford 6 dollas for hot water and a bit of flavor. Or maybe it was the peer pressure and consistent insisting on drinking tea while at someone else's house (Silly Euro's and their tea..) Or maybe it was thinking, "hmm. It's cold, and I want something warm that isn't coffee." Whatever it is, I've turned a new page, started a new chapter, and am well on my way to finishing the book of weird things in my life that randomly change.

Nevertheless, I'm now rather obsessed with this age-old beverage we refer to as "tea." It just seems to make me happy. Peach mango, peppermint, lemon zinger, wild berry, basic green, and even chamomile! The possibilities are endless. But more exciting than the tea itself may be the wonderous invention called a water kettle. Put water in, turn on, wait 15 seconds and BAM! Boiling water. No sitting and watching the stove, no awkward trying-to-pour-scalding-hot-water-from-said-pot-into-tiny-coffee-mug, nothing. Just pure, unadulterated, warm tea lovin'. It's like a bear hug to your stomach.

I even bought a carton of iced tea yesterday, from a store. To drink cold. Maybe I'm just hoping one day I'll be outside drinking it in the sunshine... (work on that, Danish weather gods. People are getting sad here. And when I say people, I mean me. I need sun.)

No comments: