Monday, September 22, 2008

should I be paying attention in class?

It's funny to think we are so anxious to lose our innocence, and one it's gone we seem to envy those that have it. As you get older, you seem to gain a different sense of that same innocent quality; you have seen and experienced more, but either by choice or age you seem to forget about it. Why are we so eager to grow up, start a career, start a family? Looking back, I think we may regret it.
 
Sometimes I can't help but laugh. People take themselves so seriously, and I don't understand it. I don't expect to only have good experiences or not live up to society's expectations of what is required for me to succeed in life, but success is only what you make of it. I don't see why you shouldn't have fun along the way. If it's true that we only get to live once, why not take advantage of every opportunity? As I write those words, I know I don't practice them. I came here to change my life because I was bored. I don't want to change myself, but I want to be changed and influenced by those around me, those that challenge me to prove myself and think for myself, not follow the crowd. 

Most importantly, I just want to laugh. While people may not always understand my humor, I genuinely think I can see the good in every situation. Although I can get upset easily, looking back I see where certain instances have affected and changed me, and am confident that while in the moment, I've been positive for the most part.
Living here has been easier that I thought it would, or should, be. Speaking English in and out of school only helps the situation, but I can't imagine how the other kids are feeling. My goal is to meet more foreign people and most definitely become friends with the locals. For a once-in-a-lifetime experience, I better make the most of it. I don't want to look back and feel like I didn't try, I didn't do it right. Didn't achieve everything I thought I should. This will change my life. This is my life. 

And I can't wait to travel. Paris for New Years? Munich for Oktoberfest? Ireland for Christmas? I can't believe I'll actually be away from my family for the first time. Hopefully I'll find someone to adopt me, or all the orphans can ban together and have our own special holiday.
It's weird to think about how much I love it here. I was always itching to get out of Gilroy, knowing I was destined for a bigger place. And San Francisco suits me. Populated, but in a small geographical area. New York, LA, and Chicago will never compare to the love obsession I have with the foggiest place I know. But as much as I love it, there is something to be said about how quaint it is here, how genuine everything is. I didn't get to experience Amsterdam too much, but what I did see were tourists. Utrecht is much more than that. It's a small city, but the center proves me wrong everytime. Especially when it is sunny, there are always people out, on bikes and on foot. The air is clean. There is rarely traffic, and when there is, rush hour is from 9-1030, not 530-830 like the US. 

People here just don't try so hard. Things get done when they get done, but the Dutch hate being late. Almost every cafe, restaurant, and bar has outdoor seating, with huge umbrellas to prep for the chance of rain, which is inevitable. And while going out for a meal is much more of a big deal than at home, going out fro coffee or a beer is completely normal. And these occasions are prolonged, anywhere from 45 minutes to 2 hours. People love to sit and talk, friends come and go.

It's such a different feeling to not have a job either. I want to look into it, but feel it would sacrifice my learning and leisure time. I heard once that Americans don't know how to relax, and now I believe it. These people aren't lazy- they just live their lives how they want to, and I admire them for it.

An American vacation consists of jam-packed outings and excursions, no time to yourself. There is no chance for even a glimpse of relaxation. Rush to meals, eat quickly, pack everything in. What happened to enjoying your food? Enjoying your much-earned spare time? Enjoying each other's company?

Americans also keep to themselves. Here, everyone is talking and chatting to each other on the train, in line at the supermarket, riding by each other on their bikes. 
I have already run into a ton of American stereotypes, but can't say that I don't fit into some of them. I may not be an expert on anything European, but I am making an effort, taking a chance, and trying my hardest. It really rubs me the wrong way when people say Americans don't want to learn about the rest of the world. In our educational system, we have to take it into our own hands in order to learn anything specific about Europe or China or Russia. It's not until college that we are even offered the chance to take classes geared in that direction. And it's obvious we don't all make it to college. 

How can someone from Finland say we don't want to learn, when we aren't ever given the choice? (True story, btw.) 
Becoming a global citizen works both ways, and it's not only up to the Americans to educate themselves. If you think we're ignorant, maybe you should take more than 2 seconds to judge me and help me learn, rather than criticize me for not knowing everything already.

No comments: