Monday, September 8, 2008

It's been a week!






I guess nothing tooo exciting has been happening in these parts. The weather is INSANE, and it was pouring all morning and I didn't want to get up, but then I went out for coffee with a friend and then the sun showed itself for the rest of the afternoon. 

Our house is finally starting to look like a home...and I like being here. Even if there was a spider joining me in the shower this morning, its much, much better than it was. Ahinara  (from Spain) and I bought some things to clean and make it look more home-y, and we finally got our 3rd addition!! Krystle is from the Netherlands Antilles, actually St. Martin in Caribbean. Both of the girls are gorgeous and sooo nice! We've formed a pretty good, instant bond, which i feel is lucky compared with some of the other people I've talked to. But it's hard not to get caught up in speaking english really quickly, because I feel like sometimes Ahinara doesn't get to catch all of it, and I don't want to leave her out.

And I think I'm finally learning to stop mumbling! In my class there are 2 Lithuanian girls, 3 Dutch kids, 4 Danish, 1 Slovakian, 3 Germans, 1 Norwegian, and 1 Portuguese, so speaking clearly is imperative.

We are having so much fun already! Friday was really rainy, but we had a (free) group dinner and a little Italian place, then a bunch of us went to an outdoor cafe under a big umbrella (it had mostly stopped raining by then) and sat and talked and drank for a couple more hours, and then split in different ways. I went with the group who wanted to party, and we ended up at a club that had a drum'n'bass show. (Old folks: look it up!) It's like a techno-mix-y vibe that is virtually impossible to dance to. Most of us hung out at the bar while one of the Danish guys danced his heart out (gotta give him credit for trying...) and then went to the "Maria" bar, which is the local bar for all us INTERNATIONAL kids. These places are open till 5 or 6 and that in itself boggles my mind. We ended up getting separated from people, so I hung out with Jesper and Mads (2 Danish boys) and talked about random things, and apparently it's been decided that the American girls (there are FIVE of us...) are cooking Thanksgiving for everyone. I'm totally down with that! But I don't even know where you can buy a turkey, and I'm kiiiiinnndddaaa not sure if I want to go looking. eesh. You never know what you will find here!

Saturday we had a little pre-party at Meryl and Ivana's, then were supposed to go to an "international" party at a club called Woolloomooloo! I liked the name, but the place was hotter than hades, so 6 of us went to a little Beligan bar and had some yummy beers :)

On Saturday I also went with Krystale to meet her "buddy," a Dutch guy that was sent to meet her and a Polish guy at the train station, and I ended up knowing more about the city than him because he lives an hour north, but we went to lunch and the Polish guy cracked us up because he was the only one drinking, and said everyone drinks after 11 in Poland, or before they go to work. Cool life, buddy. Cool life.  He also brought her buddy a bottle of Polish vodka, and I was a little bit jealous :)

Yesterday was pretty unproductive, I had to interview my friend and then I had to write an article about him and these "old music festival" concerts we went to. They were odd, full of old people in wheelchairs that fell asleep. But hey, I finally got my stuff done this afternoon, so we'll see how the professor feels about that. I have to read 100 pages in my European history book by Thursday, and today I went to buy the book and they didn't have any! And the housing place wanted 405 more Euro from me, so I had to go raise hell and tell them they are a little slow in the cabeza. 

After Meryl and I went for coffee and talked and talked, and the sun came out, and then we got some ice cream, and it was magical!! So far so good, I'll try to take more pictures! 

Love all of you :)

No comments: