Monday, September 1, 2008

Finally settled!






After wandering alone last night for what seemed like forever, I finally found my new apartment! This really nice cab driver had picked me up from the train station, took me to school to fill out my housing paperwork, came back to pick me up and take me to my place to drop my stuff off, and then over to the dome tower for the tour I had to meet up with and would have been late for, without his assistance! It may have been expensive, but so, sooo worth it! Unfortunately I didn't get a good look around, so when the sun set I was completely lost, and theres a ton of construction so the street doesn't go all the way through and you have to go around, thus making me confused. 

Nevertheless, I was stoked to arrive. Until I began to explore. The other 2 roomies weren't here yet, and it was dark so I closed all the curtains and turned all the lights on. First off, its like a rustic cabin. Second, its obviously a converted senior facility, based on the raised toilet seat and handrails, as well as the handrails in the shower and little seat. Not to mention the emergency call light switches! WTF. My mind is thoroughly boggled. It wouldn't be so bad but being on the first floor is kind of weird, I've never been down there before. Also, and toilet area and shower are in separate rooms like most dutch houses, but they're also in a separate hallway, near the front door that has a huge glass window! Very odd indeed. And this place is NASTY. The floors aren't even clean, and there are spiders everywhere, hair in the shower drain, and a moth that won't go away. Plus stray cats wander in if you leave the door open. 

Either way, My room is finally settled and it's not so bad when I don't think about the bathroom and vow to spend as much time away from here as possible. It's relatively close to the center, and in a cool little area that is walking distance. I'm going to buy a bike tomorrow!! Hopefully I don't fall flat on my face. 

Yesterday we took the worst tour ever, with our guides getting lost and taking us to the same place 3 times, the blistering sun beating down on us (but I'm totally soaking it in before it's gone!!), and the fact that our table was the very, very last to get served and everyone left before us. Fun. Don't mess with a hungry girl's food people! I'm doubting these Dutch fellas. 

We climbed the Dom tower, the highest point in Utrecht and I think one of the tallest in the Netherlands. Being that height=465 stairs. Yes, we had to climb them. Hell NO I would not have gotten in an ancient elevator anyway! But it was claustrophobia+ancientness+sweaty people+sweat me+hunger. Alas, it all equaled an AMAZING view! Definitely worth it.

Needless to say, yesterday wasn't the best day, but we had our first day of school today, free lunch, I got home ok, and I just met my first roomie, a fun girl from Spain. She will keep my spanish sharp!!

Love to my fans :)

No comments: