Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Random musings

I can't believe this school year is almost ending. When I first got to Utrecht, I thought I had all the time in the world, but then all of a sudden, it was December and time for me to hit the road.

Then we got to Denmark, and I thought, "Eh, got 6 months here. Plenty of time!" but no no, it's really all ending.

This weekend 9 of us are heading to Oslo to visit Guri's hometown, and despite some logistical issues (like umm, a place to stay!?!) we're heading out Thursday morning, back sometime late Monday night. I'm pretty stoked- Norway is gorgeous! I wish I got to see it covered in snow, but hopefully the sun will grace us with it's presence sometime this weekend, and we will be even more thrilled :)

On another note, the week after that (May 13, I'm thinking) I'm heading off to Ireland for some articles I'm working on. I'm planning on writing about the drinking culture (no jokes-PLEASE!) and what has come with that, from the high risk of and death from liver disease and cancer, to the increasing rate of underage drinkers and the new ban on alcohol advertising at public events, to how the recession is affecting alcohol sales, with 1,500 pubs closing in the last 7 years, the proposed VAT increase, leading people cross the border to North Ireland to buy alcohol, and the amount of job losses due to the tax increase, recession, and border crossing.

Should be exciting, and I already have a lot of information, so hopefully it works out. Plus, I get to go to Dublin (and hopefully some other places...) and see what it has to offer. 

But, when I get back we have a week of preparing our final, then a week to "reflect" and prepare for our oral exam, and then...I'm basically gone. Looking at a calendar is frightening.

I'm so, sooo glad I decided to come here. And so thankful for my supportive (emotionally and financially, ha) Mama. Sometime, we'll come back and do Europe right!!

Also, Ashley came to visit me 2 weeks ago (wow! that long already?!) and we had such a good time! Friday she came to school and got to experience a bit of Friday bar, although we both had to come home to nap because she spend the night at the airport, and I left school at 6am after working on a proyecto...
So far, at every school function or "meeting," we've had free refreshments. And by that, I usually mean BEER! For 15 of us, they bring an entire case. Good times Denmark, good times.
We went out later Friday night and to the coolest house EVER! Exposed brick walls, little kitchen with everything you needed, tiny bathroom (that I got locked in! ugh. claustrophobia...)  and amazing artwork by his roomie, all in something that just looked like a big warehouse from the outside. Denmark is so Brooklyn.

Saturday we had a big bbq at the park with these DISPOSABLE BBQs! Such a mystery to me, but they work, so why the hell not. 

We stayed there for awhile, until we basically started freezing although it was a gorgeous day, then watched a movie and called it a night.

Sunday we headed for Odense, a quaint little university town about 1.5 hours towards Copenhagen.
Because it was Sunday, it was pretty dead, but it made it more beautiful in a way. The self guided walking tour that was supposed to last an entire day took us maybe 2 hours, but then we had sandwiches, and took a nap in the park. Sooo worth it!






















Odense is also the birthplace of Hans Christian Anderson, of children's fables fame. We got to meet him-BFF!


"Pull my finger!"

Ummm...story of our lives. I love this girl! And chocolate milk...mmmm...

Good times were had by all, and I think a bit of a sunburn to show for it.

1 comment:

Bloody hell! What is Ashley doing in the UK!? said...

ugh why do i look so special...

anyhoo dont forget about the epic toilet paper roll extra-VAGANZA...our paolo nutini fix...dutch hannah montana contest.... YOUR HUBBY hc... and...


the berrrliinnn waaaaallll...........


http://www.flickr.com/photos/13339487@N05/sets/72157617490228142/